It’s time for another installment of our ‘peek inside’ series and today is CMmentor Emma Wood! Emma is a brilliant photographer who particularly excels at black and white photography and in being a great friend and encourager. Our photography forum wouldn’t be quite the same without the lovely Emma and we are happy to have her here today on the blog sharing a little glimpse into her world!
a peek inside | emma wood
I don’t have an enormous amount of gear, but I do use and utilize everything that I have. My office space is pretty basic, and since we’re renting at the moment, it’s not easy to make a space your own. But I have all that I need and it’s my own little corner of the house.
1. Nikon D700 with my 50mm 1.4D attached: (Instagram picture, since I don’t have a back up camera) I’m unlucky with 50mm’s, although I do love the focal length. This one is having focus problems so I don’t use it much.
2. Nikon Macro 105mm 2.8G: I call this my ‘therapy lens’ since I find macro so calming and it’s something I usually shoot when I’m alone.
3. Nikon 85mm 1.4D: My favorite lens of all. I use this most of the time because it’s my most reliable lens, very sharp and produces fantastic bokeh.
6. Ketti bag CM’s special edition: I LOVE this bag more than any other! It’s lightweight, comfortable and so cute. I get so many compliments on it and it’s put my Epiphanie Ginger out of action.
7. My lovely iMac. I literally kissed this when I unpacked it after it’s journey from Oz earlier this year. I love editing on such a big screen, it’s like processing at the cinema.
8. Erin Condren Planner. What every girl needs to keep her organized and I love how you can customize your own cover.
9. My very much needed lamp. It’s permanently on because it’s often very dark here in the winter months in England.
10. Top drawer full of camera accessories, self timer, lens cleaners, battery charger, rolls of film and a Mamiya 645 that I’ve yet to put to use.
11. Latte from my spectacular Nespresso machine.
Five Random things about me:
1. I’m extremely scatty. My Grandmother always used to tell me “you’d loose your head if it wasn’t screwed on” and I think she was right.
2. Some things make me shiver, such as kiwi fruit and wooden ice-lolly sticks.
3. I was an Army brat and attended 27 different schools as a child. I don’t think I was ever in one place for more then 2 years at a time and I’ve lived in Germany, Canada, Cyprus, America, Australia and England. I’m about to add another Country to that list as we plan to move to the UAE next year.
4. I have a few obsessions including laundry detergent, shampoo, scarves and tea (earl grey preferably).
5. My kids all think I’m a wind-up merchant. I’m quite good at keeping a serious face while playing a practical joke but they’re all pretty wise to me now, dang it!
Emma Wood, United Kingdom
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Mentoring | Ask a Pro
Emma currently resides in the United Kingdom with her RAAF pilot husband and their 7 crazy kids. She loves any chance she gets to spend some one on one time with her children, watching a movie with her husband, or getting out and about and exploring new places. Emma starts her day with a Latte and can’t live without her earl grey tea, camera, iPhone, iMac, her hair straightener, and miso soup. Despite just recently, within the past few years, discovering photography as a means to document her children’s lives, she has always had a love for photography, “particularly black and white which stems from my love of black and white films when I was a child.” Her passion is black and white photography, often described as moody and earthy, and bringing out beauty from the most simple concepts. Emma arms herself with a Nikon D700, a variety of prime lenses, and a Lensbaby.