My photography gear with Sarah Vaugh
I shoot with a Nikon D700 (and have a D200 backup that I used to take this image).
I love my Kelly Moore B-Hobo camera bag. I bought it to use as an everyday purse, so I could take my camera and a lens with me wherever I go. Perfect for a 365.
Lenses listed from left to right:
1. The best-bokeh award goes to my Nikkor 135 mm 2.0 lens.
2. The Nikkor 105 mm 2.8
3. The Nikkor 35 mm 1.4 is my go-to lens when I have to shoot in cramped places or I need lots of negative space for outdoor environmental portraits.
4. The Nikkor 85 mm 1.4 is my work-horse. I use it for the majority of my outdoor images.
5. The Nikkor 20 mm 1.8 film lens. I inherited this lens from my brother twenty years ago. It works on my digital camera, but I can’t change the aperture, which is stuck on about f9. It often gets me out of a photographic rut.
6. Lensbaby Composer Pro Sweet 35
*I took this image with my 50 mm 1.8 lens.
In my bag
In addition to my camera and lenses, for a shoot I always carry:
1. My SB-900 Speedlight with LumiQuest mini softbox – a must have just in case.
2. ExpoDisc – This is new to my bag. I alternate between it and Kelvin for white balance.
3. A lens pen for keeping them clean. Love.
4. Extra memory cards – 16 GB
5. Small candy for bribing littles – the type varies, but they must be small and non-messy.
6. Chanel lipstick- My little splurge – they make the best lipstick and nail polish.
7. Bubbles – I only break out the bubbles in desperate measures.
8. A note pad – I like to jot down ideas and my session flow with posing ideas before a shoot. I often take a picture of the page so I don’t have to refer to the notepad.
Prompted by the sweaty heat of our Mauritius summer, I turned our never-used playroom that had become a dumping ground for toys, into an air-conditioned office for me. Now, all my photography equipment, props and books are consolidated in one place, I can work in comfort and organization, and the kids like it too. Right now, I work on a 15-inch MacBook Pro. I’m a hobbyist, so editing on a laptop is enough, but one day soon I’ll be trading it in for a large-screen monitor where I can properly see what I’m editing. Oh – and the office has also become my dog, Daisy’s, favorite spot. I’m not sure what she loves more: being near me or the air conditioning.
Despite my good intentions, stacks of random items tend to magically appear on various surfaces.
1. iPad – I love reading my favorite books and magazines on my family’s iPad. Only problem is, I have to share it with the littles.
2. Mom Agenda makes the loveliest planners and organizers for busy moms.
3. Stationery – Pretty note cards and pens just make me happy.
4. To Do Lists – I write them all day long – on white boards, note pads, stickies, everywhere. I don’t always do the things on the lists, but I like to write them anyway.
5. Prints – One of my 2013 resolutions is to print more pictures. So I set aside the desire for perfection and began printing my daily images on my Canon ip4840.
The Chair. Yes, it’s bright. But it was my 4-year-old daughter’s favorite and we both like flowers. My husband and son rolled their eyes when they saw it.
The kids color, play, and do homework here while I work.
A Room With a View
Even though I finally have a room of my own, old habits are hard to break and I still do a lot of my work elsewhere. I work in cafes, on my bed, on the couch while watching TV. But my two best working spots come with a view.
My favorite way to start my mornings is to wake before the children and sneak off to my little table by the sea. I take my notebook, laptop, and much-need coffee to get some writing and Clickin Moms me-time before the chaos of the day kicks in.
Unfortunately, a big bulk of my work comes once the kids are asleep. I often have to bribe myself with the promise of a glass of wine on my veranda to get me to turn that computer on.
5 random things about me
1. I currently live in Mauritius, an island in the Indian Ocean. And I grew up in Hawaii. But with all that island living, I don’t like fish or seafood except for canned tuna, which bizarrely, I like.
2. I grew up in a yellow house. The color makes me smile.
3. If Dancing Queen plays, I dance. No matter where or when (yep, dork alert).
4. I’m such a daydreamer. My latest is that one day I’ll live in a little garden cottage writing novels and taking pictures. All I need is that garden, a cottage, and 10 more hours in the day.
5. I’m terrified of heights, but last year I forced myself on a zip-line over a canyon. That bucket list item is now checked off and I won’t be repeating the experience. Ever.