Howdy, y’all! Today I’m sharing a peek inside my Dallas, Texas photography business.
My office is co-inhabited by my darling husband, office by day, man cave by night. It’s a cozy little spot, with glass doors that enable me to see my five kids, but not hear them. Always a plus when I’m recording one of many editing videos!
I work on a MacBook Pro and it has been all I need. I travel a lot and it’s so great to be able to edit on the go. Always attached to my computer are a mouse, two external hard drives (and I have a third online drive), and my card reader.
The part of this room that holds the most appeal, however, is what I call my “magic closet.” This closet is stuffed with my many, many, many hoarded props and costumes for styled shoots, and has become quite the legend among local photographer friends.
I started with a Rebel XTi in 2010, upgraded to the 20d, the 5D Classic, the 5D mark II, and now the Canon 5d mark III (with the mark II as backup). I love me some colorful camera straps.
I’ve tried many camera bags, but only backpacks are for me. As cute and stylish as many bags can be, I love my huge backpack. It fits all my lenses, my camera body, a water bottle, cards, and two flashes and triggers, and my laptop! I credit my strong back muscles to carrying this baby around for so long.
I have all sorts of other gadgets and gizmos in addition to what is pictured here (2 Yongnuo flashes, Yongnuo triggers, CF card cases and a 8-point star filter). Not pictured are stands, umbrellas, backdrops, a Manfrotto tripod, an Alien Bee strobe, a soft box and several reflectors, not to mention a whole slew of props in my storage unit.
My penchant for variety is obvious when you take a look at my lenses.
From right to left:
- Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
- Canon 135 f/2L
- Tokina 16-28 f/2.8
- Canon 100mm macro
- Sigma 35 f/1.4 art lens
- Canon 50 f/1.2L
- Canon 15mm fisheye
- Lensbaby Sweet 35
- Lensbaby Edge 80
While I like to use a lot of lenses, every time, I’m most often apt to reach for my zooms. I move quickly during my shoots and like the versatility of a zoom. My 70-200 is definitely the most common lens to be found on my camera, followed by the Tokina 16-28.
Five things you may not know about me:
- I love “whodunit” books and TV shows, and mystery diagnosis medical programs. I love playing Sleuth and trying to uncover the mystery. I also spend a LOT of time googling random trivial facts online.
- I am always cold, and seriously loathe cold weather. I have a space heater by my feet for 3/4 of the year, even in Texas.
- I have a degree in Fine Arts, and I painted murals and wooden nursery letters and craft items for ten years, before discovering my love for photography.
- I am the world’s pickiest eater. My list of foods I loathe might just surpass my list of foods I’ll eat.
- If I could pick any talent that I don’t have but WISH I had, it would be dancing. As it is, I have two left feet.