In this Breakout you’ll learn how to create meaningful photographs through personal narrative. Amy Grace turns herself inside out, sharing her process for inviting inspiration, and translating personal experience into meaningful art. Amy encourages you to step so deeply into your comfort zone that you don’t recognize it anymore, and gives you a framework to tell the true story of your rich inner life.
Personal narrative is the backbone of your photography, and the inner light that creates it. She will help you steer your work to a place of depth, with new ideas and transparency into her own creative methods.
Amy will urge you to be attentive, be generous with your own pain, take pictures with your eyes, and start thinking with intention before you even pick up your camera.
She will discuss her ideas about metaphor as a means to universality in your art, and finding the arrows that point you toward your own. She will share her perspective on multiple exposures, as a way of representing the emotional truth in photographs.
Amy will also discuss the importance of building a tribe of artistic friendships, and share diverse wisdom from some of her closest relationships in the photography community.
As a bonus, Amy will share a collection of her personal essays to inspire you in telling your own stories, as well as videos where she speaks candidly and from the heart.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
• Art as Healing and Transformation – taking pictures from the inside out, stretching understanding of your comfort zone, ideas for encouraging breakthroughs, and therapeutic and creative projects
• Photographs as Metaphor – finding symbols within your life, taking personal and artistic inventory,
• The Photo Diary – personal work, your life and love as art, describing the view from the edge of yourself
• Multiple Exposures – telling a story in layers, adding depth, content, juxtaposition
• Building Your Tribe – genuinely connecting and cultivating artistic bonds and community
• Finding Your Way (Out) – advice on moving through life, and growing as an artist, while embracing your own unique voice
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Amy Grace is a mother, freelance writer, and fine art and commercial photographer, living just north of San Francisco, in Marin County, CA, with her two cherished kids.
She has been making art with words and music for years before she picked up a camera, and fell fast and hard, in love. Amy is passionate about truth and transparency, and creating community among artists. She loves mentoring and helping other photographers find their voices.
Amy believes that all art comes the same place, that telling our stories can set us free, and that photography is about light, yes, but mostly our own.
‘Thank you’ will be the last words she says, if she has learned anything.