Before she stepped behind the lens, Click’s cover photo contest winner Courtney Carlmark spent 7 years in front of the camera as a broadcast journalist. “But when I had my daughter, my perspective on life changed,” she says. “Instead of chasing big news, I was chasing a toddler.”
From there, Courtney says, she took a giant leap of faith. She chose to stay home and launch a photo business specializing in family, maternity and lifestyle newborn sessions. “My journalism roots shaped my approach to photography,” she says. “I’ve been a storyteller since I was a little girl.”
In late 2017, Courtney’s photo was submitted alongside more than 16,000 other entries in Click’s first-ever cover photo contest. Our editorial team judged these submissions based on the qualities a photo needs to occupy a magazine cover — one that will be displayed on newsstands and mailed to subscribers around the world. Top of mind as we reviewed the entries were factors such as each image’s ability to create a connection with the viewer, the visual dimension, composition and color contrast required for headline display, and consistency with our previous covers in tone and personality.
Turn to p. 84 to see the 17 talented photographers whose images landed them in the pool of top finalists to get a bit of inspo for your next magazine cover photo!
IN THIS ISSUE:
- 100 pages, full color, perfect bound
- Gear of the Year: The 38 Best Photography Products of 2018
- Click’s first-ever cover photo contest
- Get comfortable with street photography
- How to refresh your photo business brand
- Drone photography
- How to be more happy and fulfilled in 2019
- How Marte Marie Forsberg created the life she wanted
- Beauty, fashion and wedding photographer Joyanne Panton