Lock up your wallets because we’ve got a fun, and tempting, new series for you to get to know the CMpros a little better! What better way to learn about them than to ask them what their favorite things are, photography related or not? Next up is Jessica Nelson sharing what she loves!
jessica nelson’s favorite things
1. My L Lenses: I love these two lenses and the diversity they give me. First my 24-70. This was my first L lens and while I originally bought it for my 30D it is perfect with my 5D as well. I love the versatility and sharpness I get from it, now that its calibrated. Then there is my macro lens. This is a perfect portrait lens and of course I LOVE macro work. Its therapeutic.
2. Vera Bradley Bags: Vera Bradley makes the cutest purses and handbags. I love the soft quilted fabrics and the adorable colors and patterns. They are always so comfortable to carry especially my current bag. The best part about Vera Bradley is how affordable they are, especially when you catch a sale.
3. Judaica: I love collecting Jewish items. I love the pretty symbols, shapes and colors. I have a few necklaces that I wear along with a collection of menorahs, dreidels and needlepoints framed for my house. The Source for Everything Jewish is a great place to by gifts (hint, hint).
4. Adobe Lightroom 5: I just received this upgrade this week for Lightroom. I was using LR3 happily until the new CM Cinema presets came out and then I had to upgrade. I love doing my editing in LR and I am happy to be learning a new version.
5. Tamrac Backpack in Rust: What can I say, I love backpacks. This camera bag is very comfortable. I love that I can get my camera out by using the side pocket, it makes for an easy one handed operation. It has plenty of space for my camera and lenses at the bottom and space for more fun gear at the top.
6. Office Supplies: Well more specifically, pencils and pens. I have a very unhealthy obsession with collecting writing implements. I don’t know why, I just love them. I steal pens from every destination. I can’t help myself.
7. Phones: Of course I love my phones and yes I have one of each kind. I love them for all different reasons. The android phone is huge and super easy to read while synching to all things google (like my necessary calendar) and the iPhone has a beautiful display for photos and it’s my running partner.
8. Scrapbooking: I love to scrapbook. In general I create 12×12 layouts digitally and print them off for my book. This year with my project 365 I have been doing a mix of 4×6 and 12×12 layouts for my book. I have been using the We R Memory Keepers system to store all of my daily shots as well as any 12×12 layouts for my yearly project.
9. Film: Film is fun. My super cute Rebel T2 and all different types of film keep my creative juices flowing. One of these days I will upgrade to a more professional Canon film camera so I can give the little rebel a break (since it’s a little tattered from when I tripped and fell). Its so nice being able to shoot film and digital using my same lenses.
10. Kindle App: OK so I don’t get to read as often as I would like, but when I do read I love my kindle app. I love that I can have all my books with me and they don’t take up tons of real estate in my house.
Jessica Nelson, Maryland
website | blog | facebook | twitter | pinterest | instagram | ask a pro
Jessica Nelson is a serious hobbyist who lives in Maryland with her supportive husband, three camera-tired kids and an energetic rat terrier. Her passion for photography started at a very young age in the darkroom with her father and continued throughout her teen and adult life. She is often seen, camera in hand, chasing her kids around the house to capture their every moment. When they don’t cooperate she is known to take her passion outside to shoot the beautiful nature that surrounds her, since they can’t protest. She enjoys natural light but loves a great studio set up as well. She also dabbles in film from time to time as well as works on her Phoneography skills. When she is not playing photographer she is working as an engineer, home watching too much bad TV or out camping with the family in their 5th wheel.