1. Gardening: There’s nothing like the fullness of flavor and satisfaction from a homegrown tomato (or any other garden vegetable). My mom has gardened since I was young but it wasn’t until last year when my family went through a food lifestyle change that I started thinking about gardening more seriously. I gardened with her last year and plan on expanding this season. A few more weeks until I can get all my plants into the garden and I can’t wait!
2. Fermented Ginger Ale: To go with that food lifestyle, my favorite drink now aside from water is homemade fermented ginger ale. It is refreshing and amazingly good for the belly.
3. A good bowl of soup: The first ingredient in any soup should be love. That’s at least what my husband has taught me. You can find soup on our weekly menu on a regular basis: black bean, butternut squash, and cream of potato are the top three. I wish I could take credit for cooking said soup, but I don’t cook much…so yeah, I just eat it and thank him endlessly for the deliciousness in my bowl.
4. Journal, ink, and iPad: I love to journal and I’m inspired by good reading materials. Most early mornings you can find me with my journal, pen, and Bible app. As much as I love photographing my family memories, I also like to write down all the little things that capture my heart. In addition to keeping a personal journal of my thoughts, dreams, prayers, and randomness, I have been keeping a journal for both of my kids since I first found out I was pregnant with each. My iPad is like a huge multipurpose office wrapped into one neat rectangle. Homeschooling keeps me away from the computer most of the day so having access to business essentials is crucial. I have my reading materials all tucked away neatly in my Kindle app. I have educational apps for my kids. I have entertainment in an instant. Podcasts and Amazon Instant Video are my best friends during editing hours.
5. Little Shoes: I love cute but simple shoes for my kids. I don’t care for the glitter, sequins, action heroes, or dinosaurs on them. Just give me a solid, simple, classic shoe made out of good materials that fit well and I’m happy.
6. Soft, back-lit portraits: I love sunny days because they bring pretty evening back-lighting opportunities. I go to my “happy place” when I can shoot in the golden hour.