It’s time for another installment of one of our favorite blog series, a peek inside. Today, we have new CMmentor to feature, Celeste Pavlik. Celeste is a brilliant hobbyist photographer who with a particularly appealing approach to lighting with some of the most beautiful black and white conversions out there. We are so excited to have her on the CMblog today and know you will be too!
a peek inside | celeste pavlik
I upgraded from the Canon 7D (which I used to take most of the photos here along with my 18-55 kit lens) to the Canon 5D Mark III in July 2012.
1. Canon 5D Mark III with Canon 85mm 1.8 and lens hood attached
2. Canon 100mm 2.8 with Canon lens hood
4. Lensbaby Sweet Composer Pro with 35mm optic
5. Dynex TRP60 Tripod – I know there are more expensive options out there but this has worked well for me.
7. Alzo remote – I love this thing. It’s easy to use and allows me to get in front of the camera! One thing to note is that it does drain the battery like crazy. When I’m done using it, I remove the battery and store it separate.
8. Canon battery – I am not gripped so I always carry an extra charged battery in my bag.
9. Epiphanie Plum Lyric camera bag – I like the padded cross body strap it came with best.
10. Backpack for trips to the park or outdoor shoots
11. Crumpler Haven camera insert pouch – I love this when I’m going to be using the backpack or a large purse. I think mine is the size medium and it has a nice amount of padding inside to keep my gear protected and I like the draw string
12. Random purse from JCPenney
15. Olloclip lens for iPhone.
This is what you’ll find ‘inside’ my bag on most days….
And of course treats, er, bribes? My boys love it when I give them chocolate chips in those little medicine cups. They’re the perfect size for their little hands and it holds just the right amount, not too much and more than just a couple! The toys are little treasures that they found at the park on our last trip. I always have an assortment of these fun little treasures in my bags on any given day.
19. iPad – I was an iPad late bloomer. I don’t know how I lived without one for so long! I load all my workshop pdfs and books on to it. Makes it easy to access them on the go when I have a few minutes to read here and there. Of course iPad time is another ‘treat’ the boys can earn – I think they use it more than me at this point. The cover I keep on it religiously is a Griffin iPad case. So far so good!
20. Card Reader – Targus brand. I think I picked it up at Wal-Mart for under $15
21. X-Rite i1D2 Calibrator – I’ve never used any other kind but this one and it is simple to use. I highly recommend it.
22. Canon battery charger
25. Mmmm…. my favorite coffee to start my day. Starbucks Breakfast Blend with a bit of sugar, a lot of Coffee-Mate Caramel Macchiato Creamer, and a tablespoon of Cool-whip. Yum!
And this is my workspace. I edit primarily at night so the window that is behind me where I’m standing to take the picture here is not glaring on my monitor as you see here. I love my little space and the space to camera right. There is an additional part you can not see which is where I keep my sewing machine.
And this is where my boys usually are if I get on the iMac during the day (rare) to play or watch tv. You can see I still keep up a baby gate to the entry of my niche to keep them from getting in there and messing with my stuff!
Celeste Pavlik, Texas
website | blog | facebook | pinterest | instagram | mentoring | ask a pro
Like many first time Moms, Celeste fell in love with photography in 2006 when her husband gifted her with a new Canon Rebel DSLR to start photographing their first baby and their adventures as a new family. When asked how else her personal life has influenced her photography she responded, “In 2009, my Dad was diagnosed with leukemia which was the same day I came home from the hospital after giving birth to the triplets. At that moment I realized more than ever how important being able to share my children’s lives was going to be as my parents lived out of state and neither of us would be able to travel. I didn’t want my Dad to miss the little details of his grandchildren.” From there she began to search for ways to learn to become a better photographer not just for her but for her Dad. In April 2010 she found CM and has never turned back. She says once she switched to manual mode an entire new world of how to make art opened up which grew into her desire to learn how to capture beautiful images that were filled with emotion. Her emotive, dramatic and largely black and white imagery is achieved with a Canon 5d mark III and a few prime lenses. While she loves baking, she also enjoys her almost daily trip to the gym where she works out and takes a little time to relax. Celeste lives in southern Texas with her husband and four boys.