It’s time for another installment of one of our favorite blog series, a peek inside. Today, we have one of our newest CMmentors to feature, Allison McSorley. We are thrilled to have her on the CMteam and here on the CMblog today!
a peek inside | allison mcsorley
1. Nikon D700: My one and only camera body, unless I count the D40 that I dusted off for this shot.
2. Nikon 85mm 1.4G: I don’t use this lens often but when I do, I’m never disappointed with the results. It creates images with gorgeous color and clarity SOOC.
3. Nikon 28mm 1.8G: A wide angle lens is a “must have” in my tiny city apartment.
4. Nikon 50mm 1.4G: My first, and still my favorite, lens purchase. I use this portrait lens 90% of the time.
5. Lowepro Slingshot: I use this cross-body backpack style camera bag when I take my camera into the city. It’s comfortable, secure and roomy enough for my camera body, a couple lenses and several personal items like my phone, wallet and sunglasses.
6. Ketti camera bag in Chevron: I love that this bag is pretty enough to be a purse but also versatile and sturdy enough to carry my camera.
8. Westcott Ice Light: It looks like a Star Wars light saber but acts like an LED daylight light source. I’ve only just begun scratching the surface of what is possible with this tool but I already love the dramatic shadows that can be achieved by using this light.
9. House and car keys: Never leave home without them.
10. Alzo Digital Remote: Compact, inexpensive and works great.
11. Tiffany & Co. Zip Card Case: This zip card case is the perfect size to fit credit and ID cards as well as some cash when you’re on the go.
12. ExpoDisc: When I’m shooting indoors, I white balance using the Kelvin method but outdoors I rely on the precision of the ExpoDisc.
13. Bath & Body Works Summer Vanillas Berry lip gloss
14. Nikon LCD Cover: Sometimes I use this but more often than not, it stays in my bag.
15. iPhone 5
16. Nikon lens pen: With two small kids as my primary subjects, I’m always cleaning dust, dirt and fingerprints off my lenses.
17. Giottos Rocket Air Blaster: I use this nifty little accessory on a regular basis to blow dust off of my lenses and my camera’s sensor.
18. Dum Dums lollipops: I always keep a few of these in my bag to bribe the kids into behaving when we are out and about together.
19. Nikon battery charger
20. 27” iMac: I just upgraded from the 21” iMac earlier this year and the larger screen makes all the difference while editing.
21. Photos of my kids
Five Random Things About Me
- I am a south paw. I do everything with my left hand, except cutting with scissors.
- My husband and I met on match.com just a little over a decade ago! We are one of the success stories!
- My daughter was born three days before Christmas. Best Christmas gift ever!
- I was born and raised not far from Boston, Massachusetts, and have been a die-hard Red Sox fan ever since I was little. I never thought I’d live to see them win a World Series until that amazing 2004 season. You can imagine how popular I am wearing my Red Sox hat on the streets of Brooklyn, New York, where I currently live.
- I get very seasick. It doesn’t matter if it’s a rowboat or a cruise ship. The most ironic part is that my husband grew up on boats and has made his living working on the water as a member of the U.S. Coast Guard. I met his parents for the first time on their sailboat, and I spent the entire trip getting sick over the side of the boat. Nothing like making a first impression!
Allison McSorley, New York
website | blog | facebook | pinterest | instagram | ask a pro
Allison currently lives in Brooklyn with her Coast Guard officer husband and two children. Like many new moms, she picked up a camera early on as a means to document the milestones and fleeting everyday moments in her children’s lives. Since then, she has become passionate about creating artistic, meaningful and genuine images of her children and their journey through childhood. Allison’s gear consists of a Nikon D700 and a couple primes lenses. She enjoys spending quality time with her family, chocolate, latte dolces, her iPhone, and exploring New York City.