a peek inside | melissa gibson

Today we’re bringing you another ‘peek inside’ of one of our fabulous CMteam members!  This time, we get to learn a little more about one of our newest Mentors and Photoshop Elements guru Melissa Gibson.  If you’re already a member of the Clickin Moms photography forum then you’re familiar with Melissa and her kind, honest, helpful, and funny personality.  And today, we’re pleased that everyone gets a little dose of Melissa to brighten their day!

a peek inside | melissa gibson

My bag is the super cute Ketti bag made exclusively for Clickin Moms.  It is my first real camera bag (I used a backpack before) and I am in love with it.  It is so easy to carry all of my goodies around and I adore that purple lining.

a peek inside | melissa gibson photo

I shoot a gripped Nikon d700 and I have a teeny arsenal of two lenses, the 35mm 2.0 and my sweet little baby the 50mm 1.4g.

a peek inside | melissa gibson photo

I don’t think I could love a lens more than I love the 50mm.  I use it all the time.  I am a huge fan of shooting at that wide open aperture of 1.4 and also the beautiful bokeh that this lens creates.

Also inside my bag:

a peek inside | melissa gibson photo

1.  A remote for those self portraits with the kids that I need to do more often.

2.  My Moleskin journal for writing down funnies that my girls say and sometimes I also have ideas of my own.  Since my memory is not-so-great, I need to jot them down rather quickly.

3.  Olloclip that I probably can’t do without.

4.  An extra battery and CF card.

5.  Treats for my girls because they are easily bribed.

6.  My iPhone for browsing Instagram, posting from the Clickin Moms app, or using that quick and easy iPhone camera.

*not pictured: 35mm 2.0 and the gripped d700 because I was using it, of course.

a peek inside | melissa gibson photo

a peek inside | melissa gibson photo

My workspace is in our finished basement, just at the bottom of the stairs.  I edit on an iMac that my husband surprised me with last Christmas (LOVE him!).  I love to fill my spot with color so I framed some of my favorite art pieces by my girls.  It helps me to feel happy and fun.  I like to keep things clutter-free so I have baskets tucked away in a small cabinet that hide my calibration device, extra cords, discs and paperwork.  Also, my girls love to sit behind me and play in the floor which means there’s usually farm animals, My Little Pony figures, and Zoobles in the floor behind the chair.  I cleaned those up just for y’all.  Finally, my smallest girl loves to draw and “do pictures” while I edit, too.  I keep a small basket of paper and crayons handy for her.  She likes to see her art on the cork board near my desk.

a peek inside | melissa gibson photo

a peek inside | melissa gibson photoMelissa Gibson, Georgia
Copywriter | CMU Instructor | CM Mentor
website | facebook | pinterest | instagram | ask a pro
Melissa is a proud MWAC who gears up with a Nikon D700, prime lenses, and edits her “fun, childlike, and whimsical” photography solely in Photoshop Elements. Her goal both now and when she first began her photography journey in 2005 is to, in her own words, “remember my girls’ lives for them. They are so young yet growing so quickly. I know they won’t remember it all so I feel it’s my job to document it for them.” She is a self proclaimed goofball that loves reading, giggling, sweet tea, her iPhone, kisses, instagram, and having fun with her small family which includes her husband and three darling girls.

a peek inside | melissa gibson photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “a peek inside | melissa gibson”

1. Nov 29 2012 at 11:55 am #

Love seeing you here today, Melissa. <3 You are a girl after my own heart. I also like to consume an insane amount of fruit roll ups. or gushers, or fruit by the foot, or sour punch straws…. I think you get the point. I made myself so sick form eating them when I was pregnant that i just recently started eating them again. :) Vacuuming is something I like to do for fun as well.

2. Nov 29 2012 at 12:04 pm #

This has to be one of my favorite peeks inside. :) LOVE that you use just two prime lenses, and so amazed that you can shoot at 1.4! And that chair . . . I need it for my house!

3. celestejones
    Nov 29 2012 at 12:08 pm #

i knew this would be a good one. love your personality.

4. Nov 29 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Yay Melissa! We both share a love of fruit roll ups– I cannot even buy the things! Loved reading this :)

5. Lisa
    Nov 29 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I absolutely LOVE you Melissa; you are so freakin’ funny. Enjoyed reading this and I adore your chair at your desk! It’s also really cool to see that you can create fantastic images with just 2 lenses :)

6. Nov 29 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Love it Melissa!! Love the bag better than that back pack!

7. Anne Manning
    Nov 29 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Love the artwork on your walls! Your girls clearly have the creative knack, too. And I’m always happy to read about another 50 1.4 devotee.

8. Nov 29 2012 at 12:59 pm #

It was great getting to know you better, Melissa. <3 I too think vacuuming fun. :)

9. Nov 29 2012 at 1:01 pm #

I love to vacuum, too, Melissa! I use to be OCD about people “messing up my lines” in the carpet after I got done vacuuming…then I had kids! :)

Loved getting to read about you!!

10. Kira
    Nov 29 2012 at 1:04 pm #

When I saw you were featured Melissa I hurried to see the spotlight. It’s so nice to see inside the bag of a CMpro that doesn’t have ten lenses, but you still have such a variety in your images. :) I love your humor, how easy going you seem to be, and that you choose to take pictures of just your girls (or at least not clients) cause that’s what you like. And now I love your chair, and that you only use two lenses. You’re just cool, thanks for sharing!

• Nov 30 2012 at 10:15 am #

Kira! You are a sweetie! Thank you so much. I love it when people consider me “cool”. :giggle And the chair? It’s from Pier 1….get thee to Pier 1!!

11. Nov 29 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Melissa, I just love the way you showcase your work and your girls’ work in this room!

12. Adele Humphries
    Nov 29 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Loved reading more about you Melissa! I love your workspace – it’s so “you” – bright, quirky, fun and happy <3 I am a little freaked out about your vacuuming fetish….being tidy is NOT my strong point (probably why you will never see a blog post like this about me ;)

13. Nov 29 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Love this, Melissa! Thanks for sharing more about you. :) (PS, I love vacuuming too, haha!)

14. Amanda
    Nov 29 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Love this peek inside your bag – why is that so fascinating to us as women?! haha!
    What kind of remote do you use? I recently got a gift card to my favorite camera shop for my bday and I desperately need a remote so that I, too, can be in more photos with my kids and family. I have no clue about remotes. I also shoot with a D700 and 50mm. Love!

15. corinne m
    Nov 29 2012 at 1:34 pm #

aw Melissa. I love you just a tad more than I already did :)

16. Bree H
    Nov 29 2012 at 2:16 pm #

I loved reading more about you, Melissa! Your office is adorable too :) I can’t believe I’ve never popped onto your blog before, but you just got yourself another follower…love love love!

17. Dominique
    Nov 29 2012 at 2:24 pm #

I had to google “MWAC.” I love how your personality shines through…it makes me think CMPro’s are like normal people. ;)

• Nov 30 2012 at 10:18 am #

Thank you, Dominique! And hey… CMPros ARE like normal people. Sitting in my comfy pants, eating a Pop Tart and listening to Dora right now. That’s normal, right? *giggle*

18. Nov 29 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Melissa, you always make me smile and laugh. Love ya girl!

19. Nov 29 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Loved reading this, Melissa! And the corkboard idea is genius – I always have so many photos I want to display around the house, and that’s a great way to keep them rotating. :)

• Nov 30 2012 at 10:19 am #

Thanks, Parikha! That corkboard? My very first (and only) Pinterest project!

20. Nov 29 2012 at 3:40 pm #

i’m embarrassed to admit how little i vacuum… the carpet is really only upstairs and it doesn’t really show the mess, plus i’m always afraid i’m going to suck up a handful of prized lego pieces! great peek into your world, melissa!

21. Nov 29 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Loved peaking into your bag and have a look at your workspace: it looks so “you”. And I love your chair !!!

22. Nov 29 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Aw…always so fun to read these, they may be my favorite posts! Great to get to know you a bit better Melissa, lovely workspace, especially love your girls’ artwork framed and that chair.

23. Randa
    Nov 29 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Melissa is awesome. And..vacuuming IS fun!!

24. Mara Vaughan
    Nov 29 2012 at 11:01 pm #

I love this!! I really like your workspace, Melissa. Simple and fun! And I love that you love Duck Dynasty. My husband and I love that show! It just cracks me up.

• Nov 30 2012 at 10:21 am #

Mara? Duck Dynasty is so awesome. I want my own Uncle Si and I’d even let him live in the basement.

25. Nov 30 2012 at 1:13 am #

Loved reading this Melissa!! You are such a hoot and I always love reading your posts on CM, IG, and fb!! Your photography is wonderful. I hope to meet you someday IRL!

• Nov 30 2012 at 10:22 am #

Thank you, Celeste! I just adore your work. I’m happy that I can say…I knew you “when”. As in “when” you first discovered The Chair. You were off like a rocket after that. :hp *smooch*!

26. Nov 30 2012 at 9:22 am #

Melissa! I LOVE you! Have I told you that before? You are so cute. I love your workspace and especially love that your kids art is framed. SOOO doing that soon.

• Nov 30 2012 at 10:23 am #

Elena!!! Right back at you, girl. I pretty much dig you, too. :hp

27. Nov 30 2012 at 10:24 am #

Thanks a heap load everyone! I appreciate all of the sweet comments so very much. I’m throwing out huge kisses right now!!

28. Nov 30 2012 at 11:03 am #

You’re so great, Melissa. :hp That’s all. ;)

29. Nov 30 2012 at 8:17 pm #

You’re fantastic, Melissa! Magical shower singing abilities. giggle :)

30. Dec 01 2012 at 6:37 am #

Lovely learning about you. Great corkboards!

31. Dec 07 2012 at 12:22 pm #

I can eat a whole box of fruit roll ups in like 10 minutes and feel just a smidgen of shame. lol ;)

LOVED this peek and the cork!!!!

32. Dec 13 2012 at 9:06 pm #

You’re funny AND clutter-free. Your husband was right to snatch you up from the get-go! :)

33. Jun 04 2014 at 11:07 pm #

Thanks for letting us look into your world.