It’s time for another installment of our ‘peek inside’ series and today is CMmentor Megan Squires! Megan is the instructor for CM’s online photography workshop Natural Light With Atmosphere, an extraordinary newborn photographer, and a published author. She’s incredibly talented and she’s also one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Enjoy your peek inside of Megan’s world!
a peek inside | megan squires
7. Nikon D4 (Nikon D700 for backup)
8. My camera strap belonged to my dad, and it’s one of my most prized possessions that I have left from him. I love that I can take a piece of him with me on each shoot.
9. Shootsac – I use this for all of my outdoor sessions and love that I can wear all of my lenses and have them at arm’s length the whole time. I tend to set my things down and forget to grab them when I’m done (I’ve lost countless lens caps this way), so it’s handy to physically wear all of my gear.
10. SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro – The Big Daddy of all CF cards. My husband got this for my birthday, tired of hearing that I had to clean off my card before I could take another picture.
11. Business Cards from ProDPI – Though I’m usually too embarrassed to give them out, I keep a stack of cards on hand.
13. My current favorite purse – I love to find purses that can be used as camera bags. When I photograph my newborns, I only bring my 50mm and macro, so a bag like this is perfect to tote to the studio, and then carry with me the rest of the day.
14. Lens Flare – I photograph a lot of little ones, so I love to have something on my camera that will draw (and keep) their attention.
15. My studio is where I photograph all of my newborns, as well as babies up to one year old. I also do some of my editing on my MacBook Pro there as well.
16. I have two huge, north facing windows that provide consistent, beautiful light regardless of the weather outside. My studio is on the third floor, so it also offers privacy for my brand new baby sessions.
17. Three years ago I found these incredible, vintage lockers and fell in love! I knew they would be perfect to house my backdrops and stands. Since my studio is only 600 square feet, storage is an issue. I loved this alternative to the typical closet.
Thank you Megan for sharing with us! It’s so great to get to know you even better and see a little inside your world!
Megan Squires, California
CMU Instructor | CM Mentor
website | facebook | twitter | pinterest | ask a pro
Although Megan started dabbling in photography when she purchased her first DSLR in 2005 it wasn’t until 3 years later that her journey took a deeper meaning and has defined who she is as a photographer. In Folsom, California, where she lives with her husband and two children, Megan uses her Nikon D4 and an assortment of lenses to photograph in her bright, clean, and classic style. On her days off she loves to sip a can of diet Coke after a morning of sleeping in. Follow that with a little antiquing and you’ve got quite the day for Megan. She is also the instructor for CMU’s Shooting 203: Natural Light with Atmosphere and Shooting 102: Mastering Manual Exposure workshop.