Get to know your CMteam! We are so often asked what we shoot with, what’s “in our bag”, what bag we carry and so on and so forth. So we’re giving you all a little peek behind the scenes to get to know your CMteam better. A couple of times a month throughout this year and into 2013 we’ll feature a different CMteam member and give you “a peek inside” – a peek inside their bag, their workspace and a peek into their personality with five little things you may not know about them – so FUN!
Today we get to see inside the world of the incredible Leah Cook. She is an awesome photographer, a wonderful encourager, and she has the best laugh in the world! As a previous school teacher, it comes to no surprise that she is such a great educator with her helping out on the forum, being a teaching assistant in many CM workshops, and with her previous Breakout Session. Leah, thank you for all that you do!
a peek inside | leah cook
I shoot with a Canon 5D MarkII. I upgraded in 2009 from the 40D and love it. The lenses I take with me to all my sessions are:
1. 17-40 4.0L – a super wide angle great for getting the BIG picture…tough to use inside because of the narrower aperture
2. 24-70 2.8L – a versatile lens and especially useful for chasing moving toddlers…creates really fantastic lens flare
3. 35 1.4L – my current favorite and I’m not sure how I lived without it…perfect for inside and lifestyle sessions
4. 50 1.4 – my very first portrait lens and an extremely comfortable focal length…this is the one I’ll upgrade next
5. 85 1.2L – this lens built my business…used it in every single session I’ve ever done
6. 100 2.8 macro – pop this on and get creative…from eyelashes to petals, it gets me thinking outside the box
7. lensbaby composer – a gift from my dad, I’m thankful this is in my bag…it definitely needs to be used more
430EX Speedlite – I’ve had this since my 40D and am still figuring out how to use it. comes in handy in an emergency lighting situation
TONS of CF memory cards – too many to count…my favorites are 4GB + 8GB
lens cleaning kit
sharpie (just in case)
olloclip for the iPhone
stickers for kids
lens puppet that my mom made – before they were cool
Mostly I use my LowePro roller bag because I carry almost all of my gear to sessions, it also fits in airplane compartments and turns into a backpack (but I never use that feature.) I’m in love with my Kelly Moore classic bag in purple, it comes in handy on day trips and can double as a diaper bag.
my current workspace:
Well, I’m gonna be real. My computer has been sitting on our table since the holidays…oh yes, you read right. But it’s worked for us…I’m where all the action is and we even pushed the table against the wall for more play-space and toys. This nook is situated in between the kitchen, living room, and playroom. I might not be able to get an entire session proofed during the day but it does make it easier to get smaller tasks accomplished. If we eat together as a family it’s in the living room or at the kids table!! My hubby created a fantastic space for me directly above this one but it’s not finished out yet…one day soon!
1. junk, papers, receipts, to-do lists, etc…lots of them right at my fingertips
2. 27 inch iMac – I love her more than words.
3. Sharpies (I’m addicted)
4. card reader
5. (2) Seagate GoFlex EHDs
6. stack of DVDs – for saving RAW files
7. iPhone (of course)
Thank you for sharing about yourself Leah!
Leah Cook, Texas
Website | Blog | Facebook | Pinterest | Mentoring | Ask a Pro
Leah has always had an interest in photography and art but that interest increased when her dad, who has a great eye for photography, gave her her first digital camera. That interest skyrocketed after she quit teaching when her first son was born. When asked about her style Leah says, “my style definitely has a mix of lifestyle + classic elements…I hope to keep things modern but still timeless and I love adding a sense of humor! It took me a while to figure out what I loved and I think that’s part of my style…being all over the place and loving lots of different ‘types’ of photography.” Her style has continued to evolve, especially after the birth of her second son and photographing and posing him daily gave her a great amount of experience and knowledge. Leah currently uses a Canon 5d mark ii and a variety of lenses. She shares a home in Dallas with her husband, two sons, and two dogs. Spending time playing in the yard, taking a long walk, watching a good game, or eating a yummy meal with her family is the recipe for a good day in Leah’s world. She also loves her iMac, iPhone, the DVR, goldfish crackers, wine, dark chocolate, and ranch dressing.